Duck Nails – So Ugly That They’re Cute?
You may not know what duck nails are but you’ve most likely seen them before. Nails that are square-shaped and are wider as they reach the tips. I remember the first time I saw duck nails (didn’t know what they were called at the time) on a girlfriend who was visiting from California in the early 2000s. I asked why her nails were so wide and chunky, to which she replied that was the style out there.
Being a fan of slim, sleek, pointy nails all my life– I thought her nails looked hideous and they must have horrible nail techs out there. But seeing duck nails make a comeback in 2021 and again this year– and knowing that the style is intentional– I’m starting to actually find duck nails really cute. So why are duck nails in style again in 2023 and what are some of the most poppin’ designs for duck nails?
What are Duck Nails?
Duck nails are when your nail tech uses duck nail extension tips that flare out at the end, mimicking a duck’s feet. The nails are then filled and filed in a way that tapers from a narrow base to a wider tip. Some may refer to duck nails as “duck bill nails”, “fan nails”, or “flare nails”. Whatever you call ’em, your nail technician will know what you mean.
When Did Duck Nails Become Popular?
Duck nails first gained popularity in the early 2000s, alongside other bold nail shapes such as stiletto and coffin nails. Duck nails were considered a Barbie core/rock girl aesthetic, which consisted of being very tan, wearing mostly pink, mini dresses, crop tops, platform shoes, and accessories like oversized sunglasses and nails.
Are Duck Nails in Style Today?
While duck nails may have fallen out of popularity for a few years, they are making a comeback in 2023. Many celebrities like Cardi B and influencers have been spotted rocking this unique nail shape once again, and social media is buzzing with images of creative and eye-catching duck nail designs.
Duck Nails in 2023
In 2023, the trend for duck nails is all about experimenting with different textures and finishes. Many people are opting glittery designs and blinged out nail art, while others are playing with nude, one color looks and matte textures.
Classic styles like the French manicure will always be in style. Many like to play with the classic look a bit with different color variations. Neon and fun colored tips have been all the rage.
One thing that sets duck nails apart from other nail shapes is their length. Duck nails are typically longer and wider than other shapes, which means they require extra care and maintenance. If you’re considering trying out this trend, make sure you’re prepared to invest some time and effort into keeping your nails healthy and looking great.
Tips To Care For Your Nails
To keep your duck nails looking their best, there are a few things you can do:
- Keep your nails clean: Thoroughly clean your nails with soap and water, and avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners that can damage your nail polish.
- Moisturize your nails: Keep your nails hydrated by using a nail oil or cuticle cream to prevent dryness and breakage.
- Avoid using your nails as tools: While it can be tempting to use your long nails to open packages or perform other tasks, this can put extra strain on your nails and cause them to break or chip.
- File your nails regularly: Filing down hangnails, cracks, or sharp edges will help prevent your nails from getting caught on things and breaking. Keeping your nails maintained will ensure a longer lasting manicure.
- Take your vitamins: Vitamins and biotin and keratin rich foods are essential for healthy hair and nails. These nutrients will help with overall nail strength and growth and can help combat brittle nails.
- Get regular touch-ups: As your nails grow, you’ll need to get them touched up every few weeks to keep them looking their best. Waiting last minute to refill your manicure can lead to more broken and weaker natural nails.