Does Hypnosis To Quit Smoking Actually Work?
Is hypnosis to quit smoking real? You’ve probably heard of hypnosis before. It’s often used as a party trick, where someone appears to be in a trance-like state and can be influenced to do things they wouldn’t normally do, like cluck like a chicken.
But what you may not know is that hypnosis is a real, scientifically-proven phenomenon that can be used for more than just entertainment value. In fact, one of the most popular applications of hypnosis is to help people quit smoking. But does it actually work?
How Does Hypnosis To Quit Smoking Work?
Smoking hypnosis works by tapping into the power of the subconscious mind. The thinking goes that since habits are created in the subconscious mind, if we can access that part of the brain, we can change our behavior.
During a hypnosis to quit smoking session, the hypnotherapist will guide you into a relaxed state where you are more open to suggestions. Once in this state, the therapist will begin planting suggestions in your mind that smoking is undesirable, unhealthy, and unpleasant. Hypnosis to quit smoking is intended to act on underlying impulses to weaken the desire to smoke, or strengthen the will to stop.
It’s important to note that you are not asleep during this process and you can come out of hypnosis at any time. In fact, most people report feeling more relaxed and focused after a session.
Quit Smoking Hypnosis Techniques
While the hypnosis technique used varies by hypnotist, there are a few common techniques that are found to be the most effective. It is important to only work with a trained and qualified hypnotherapist who specialize in hypnosis to quit smoking to ensure best and safest results.
- Relaxation Techniques: Hypnotherapists may use relaxation techniques to help the person enter a relaxed and focused state. Techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing, or visualization can help the person relax and become more receptive to the suggestions provided during hypnosis.
- Positive Suggestions: The hypnotherapist may use positive suggestions to help the person change their thoughts and behaviors related to smoking. For example, they may suggest that the person no longer enjoys the taste or smell of cigarettes, or that smoking causes them to feel physically ill.
- Visualizations: Hypnotherapists may use visualizations to help the person imagine themselves as a non-smoker. For example, they may ask the person to imagine themselves in a healthy body, free from the harmful effects of smoking.
- Anchoring Techniques: Hypnotherapists may use anchoring techniques to associate a negative feeling or sensation with smoking. For example, they may ask the person to imagine a strong, unpleasant smell or taste whenever they think of smoking.
- Self-Empowerment Techniques: Hypnotherapists may use self-empowerment techniques to help the person feel more confident in their ability to quit smoking. For example, they may encourage the person to repeat affirmations such as “I am in control of my smoking habits” or “I am a non-smoker.”
So Does Hypnosis To Quit Smoking Work?
Now that we understand hypnosis to quit smoking works, let’s take a look at whether or not it’s actually an effective treatment for quitting smoking.
A comprehensive review of scientific literature on smoking cessation interventions found that hypnosis was one of the most effective methods for quitting smoking, with an average success rate of 60%.
Interestingly, another study showed that even self-hypnosis (i.e., using audio recordings or guided imagery) was found to be an effective treatment for quitting smoking, with a success rate of 55%.
Using hypnosis can be an effective tool for smoking cessation, with some studies indicating that hypnosis can be more effective than other smoking cessation methods, such as nicotine replacement therapy or self-help programs.
However, it is important to note that not everyone may respond to hypnosis in the same way, and results can vary based on a person’s individual circumstances, motivation, and other factors.
Quit Smoking Hypnosis Testimonials
One of the best ways to gauge how effective something is is by heading to the net yourself and seeing real feedback from real users on if hypnosis to quit smoking worked for them. Gathering comments made by users on popular social networks like Reddit and Quora, we’ve found:
‘Went and got some hypnosis and BAM. Quit smoking that day. Never touched one again. Instead his addiction was transferred to drinking. Since then always carrys around a water bottle.’
‘I don’t personally believe in hypnosis, but I’ve heard that it “works” if you believe it will. So, if you believe in it, and you want to quit smoking deep down, I think it could help you get over the hump.’
‘If you wanna quit smoking, hypnosis is the way. Go with a professional.’
‘Smoking cessation hypnosis isn’t much better than placebo. Sorry.’
‘I quit a 29 year addiction, a pack a day, in one session. 7 years smoke free until I played with fire and I am smoking again.’
‘No, rewiring your brain with hypnosis is not a magical spell that will allow you to switch from addict to “social smoker”. I learned my lesson and as soon as my therapist resumes visits, I will get hypnosis again…and quit again.’
‘My FIL got it decades ago, in a group session no less, and never smoked again.’
‘I tried it once and honestly think it depends on the person’s abilities. I think some of that just comes naturally. So, I’m going to try it again next week.’
‘I did pretty well with a hypnosis app on my phone. Stopped me day to day smoking. It’s the social smoking that still gets me.’
Quitting smoking is hard—there’s no doubt about it. But if you’re looking for an effective way to kick the habit for good, you may want to give smoking cessation hypnosis a try. Hypnosis to quit smoking is not some magical spell that will control your thoughts and actions, rather a method for putting new ideas and suggestions in your head.
At a near 50-60% success rate, it’s a coin toss whether hypnosis will help you stop smoking, but there are enough proven results and success stories where people have been able to finally kick the habit by using hypnosis.
Based on most testimonials, it seems the most important factor when undergoing quit smoking hypnosis is how open and motivated one is to quit. When you yourself are truly ready to quit smoking cigarettes for good, you will receive the best results with hypnosis.